When working remotely from your home computer, you should use your work VPN to connect to your work network. If you use Remote Desktop Services (RDS) then use the remote desktop app on your home computer to connect to work computer.
If this is your current remote procedure for users working from home, then the following recommendations apply:
- Make sure your home computer has up-to-date Anti-Virus software installed.
- Ensure all Windows/Mac updates have been installed.
- Do not share your computer with other family members; however, if there aren’t any other options, the user must have their own user account on the PC and log off their computer session after they finish their work.
- Ensure your password are complex with 10 characters as a minimum and a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters such as !@#$%^&*().
- Use Multi-factor Authentication whenever it is available.
- Use a Windows 10 PC over a Mac PC. Mac computers are less compatible with Windows Server environments and are know to have connection issues when trying to connect to Windows Server environments.
- Educate users to check with your peers when they receive suspicious emails i.e. DO NOT open any attachment/ links and DO NOT reply to the email if you have any doubts.
- No files should be copied to and from your personal computer because you are already working on your own office computer, there is no reason to copy documents elsewhere.